Spoiled for choice with seafood in KZN
Home to the majestic sardine run, residents In KZN are always in for a treat. Delight in this special choice of seafood wildly found even in the most remote parts of the province. Cheaper than most other fish options, the sardine is a local favourite. Add in a few spices and deep fry for the best results! If you’re looking to diversify your sardine recipes then look no further.
Kamini’s Crisp Chilli Bite Sardine Sandwiches
This recipe serves 2.
You will need
- A small pot for deep frying
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2 fresh sardines, gutted and scaled
- 4 tablespoons of regular flour
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup ready-made chilli bite mix
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- A medium lemon, cut in half
- A handful of fresh coriander leaf, chopped
- Maldon salt flakes (you can use any salt flakes of your choice if you don’t have Maldon) and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons ready-made aioli or good-quality mayonnaise
- 4 slices of fresh sour dough bread
- Heat the oil to 180°C in a small pot.
- In 3 bowls: pour the flour into the first bowl, beat both eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper in the second bowl, and mix the panko breadcrumbs and chilli bite mix together in the third bowl.
- Dip the skin of the cleaned sardines into the bowl with the flour first – make sure you coat both sides, then dip both sides of the sardines into the egg mixture in the second bowl, and then coat the sardines with the chilli bite and panko crumb mixture in the third bowl.
- Fry your sardines in the heated oil for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Once the sardines are cooked, transfer them onto a plate with paper towel to allow the excess oil to drain.
- Season the cooked sardines with salt flakes and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Spread the mayonnaise or aioli onto the slices of sourdough bread.
- Place the cooked sardines onto the bread, sprinkle with chopped coriander leaf and enjoy.